" Of the last 3 months in England Skip to main content

Featured

Maybe one day I'll get to live in a city with all the people I love

  Labuan.  Who would've thought this is the city I need to call home, perhaps for the next few years in my life. I hate finding myself counting down to the days I can escape from this place when I'm supposed to find comfort here — a place I find my peace, a place that feels like home. Sometimes, I wonder what it feels like to live in a city with all the people I love. With everyone I miss.  Would it feel like Southampton — home to my favourite people, the city where I spent some of my crucial years? Or would it feel like Kudat, a place rooted deep  within me yet somehow a little unfamiliar each time I return. Maybe Labuan isn't meant to be home in the way Southampton was, or in the way my future city will be. Maybe, this is just a chapter. A quiet, in-between space where I'm allowed to feel both sense of belonging and detachment. And still, maybe, just maybe, this is all I need right now. Living alone, away from everyone. Just so I can find myself, be my most authent...

Of the last 3 months in England

There is no right way to say goodbye or see you later. 3 months is long enough to do all the things you have yet to cross out from your list but short enough to feel overwhelmed with all the things you feel. From getting that last bit of summer iced chocolate, hoping on the first train to London, to checking out the place you used to walk by in the past few months, ignoring the fact that this is the last time in a long time you'll have this time again. In between being out and about, spending time with your favourite people, deciding where you'll leave your footprints next, which part of the bucket list you get to tick, what gets to go home with you, grabbing that last bit of souvenirs for family back home, your mind just struck realising how you always seem to forget to do that one last thing, that one last place you save in your list, that one meal you always wanted to try, that one friend you can never get enough time to spend with. 
Years ago, you told yourself you had 3 years, 2 years, 10 months and now just 3 more months. You enjoy it when the sun comes out even though it's scorching hot and you can't help but complaining. You enjoy the rain as well cause you have a reason to stay on your bed in your cozy pyjama, putting aside the fact that you only have this day once. Now the time has come and you appreciate it because you're not sure when you'll next feel the warmth of your friends' hugs, the taste of the waffle you shared with your friend, the butterflies you get when a random kid made your day, the smell of the fresh air the morning you wake up to a new place when you're on a trip, the view of the morning bus ride to the town. Until the last day comes too soon and you must say goodbye. Leaving all the bittersweet memories behind and preparing a spare for your heart to feel all the mixed feelings once you return to your hometown. 
You get all the feelings you need to feel doing that one last time playing tourist in your favourite city, one last bus ride, one last visit to your favourite spot in town, one last smell of the air when you open the door of the house you about to leave for good, and buying that one-way flight ticket back to home. You're given a nostalgia on your journey to the airport, some views stay the same just as it was when you first met but the feeling that came along with it was different. You remind yourself that one journey is just another journey but what makes it special is that the memories at the end of the journey holds the time of another chapter of your life. Until next time England...
Love,
Lyna
10th September 2017

Comments