" 5 Things I Learned While Studying Abroad Skip to main content

Featured

Maybe one day I'll get to live in a city with all the people I love

  Labuan.  Who would've thought this is the city I need to call home, perhaps for the next few years in my life. I hate finding myself counting down to the days I can escape from this place when I'm supposed to find comfort here — a place I find my peace, a place that feels like home. Sometimes, I wonder what it feels like to live in a city with all the people I love. With everyone I miss.  Would it feel like Southampton — home to my favourite people, the city where I spent some of my crucial years? Or would it feel like Kudat, a place rooted deep  within me yet somehow a little unfamiliar each time I return. Maybe Labuan isn't meant to be home in the way Southampton was, or in the way my future city will be. Maybe, this is just a chapter. A quiet, in-between space where I'm allowed to feel both sense of belonging and detachment. And still, maybe, just maybe, this is all I need right now. Living alone, away from everyone. Just so I can find myself, be my most authent...

5 Things I Learned While Studying Abroad


1. I'm much more independent than I ever imagined

Going abroad taught me, at a vulnerable and insecure age, I could get on a 15-hour plane ride across the world and be okay. I learned to do EVERY SINGLE THING on my own. I now make my own decisions, alone. Little did I know, this is just the beginning of adulting. I honestly enjoy doing things alone, eating alone, walking at the park alone, going to a concert alone, etc etc. And sometimes I prefer doing everything on my own. 

2. Getting out of my comfort zone

I overcome my fear of doing things I don’t usually do; be it going to a class meet-up, joining a 5km decathlon run, travelling on my own. Cause I always have this nervous breakdown before doing things I have never done before. I question myself why did I sign up for that class or that session. But I was so glad I did it. Living thousand miles away from my family taught me to stretch my hand and grab that things I always wanted to do but never had a courage to do it. 

3. Be open-minded

I realized that the world is bigger than I think. Living abroad and meeting a lot of people from different culture and nationality taught me A LOT of things, I listened to their stories, I learned about their culture, I learned the reason why they did certain things. This opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities out there. And the thing about being open-minded is you learn to understand things. 

4. Be flexible

After traveling to few countries, I learned that not everything will go according to your plan and that’s okay. So, I learned to open myself up to spontaneity. Sometimes, I let my feet to take me wherever it might be without a long and hard thinking. I remember going to London to watch Fifth Harmony and only decided to go the night before, it was one of the many random things I’ve ever done and I’m glad I did.

5. I'll never be the same again

Studying abroad changes me. I never go home the same. I have travelled to 7 countries in 3 years, I have had these incredible experiences, met extraordinary people, seen things I only could see abroad and no one at home would understand this. I’ve picked up some habits that people at home won’t understand unless they go there and experience it by themselves. Living abroad just changes me, in a good way and I’m thankful for that. 

Comments

  1. Studying abroad really change us in a good way right?

    Btw, I FINALLY found your blog because your comment went into spam and by the time I noticed I've cleared up all the spam comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Drop me some "Beautifully Written words!