I stumbled upon a nicely edited travel
video of Iceland on twitter last night and it reminds me of my time in Iceland.
So, I decided to write a post about Iceland, finally hehe.
I visited Iceland June last year
during the month of Ramadhan. YESSS! It was my first time traveling while
fasting and on top of that it’s a long 21 hours daylight. If you didn’t know, the
day in Iceland is longer than the night, the sun shines for 21 hours, yes you
read it right, 21 HOURS. In fact, while I was in Iceland, it didn’t even get
dark at all. Iceland is known for it’s midnight sun. To be able to witness that
is, mashallah, what an incredible experience. It would’ve been nice if I could
witness aurora as well but since it doesn’t get dark at all, it’s impossible to
see aurora during the summer.
It was a 5 days trip with my
friends, there were 12 of us. We traveled to the southern part of Iceland only
since we have limited time and tight budget, we couldn’t go to the northern part.
Overall, I spent £450 which is about RM2500 but please take note this is because
I’m traveling from the UK so the flight ticket is much cheaper.
I would say that Iceland worth
every penny. Here’s few things you need to know before traveling to Iceland.
1.
Road
trip in Iceland is the best. Driving around Iceland is more
convenient than taking the bus or joining a tour. EVERY INCH OF ICELAND IS
MAGNIFICENTLY BREATHTAKING. So, if you drive, you literally can pull over anywhere to take picture. One time we saw a
field of purple flowers (I found out later that it’s lupin), so we decided to
pull over for a few minutes to take pictures and it’s probably one of my
favorite pictures from Iceland.
 |
| Gullggafoss waterfall |
2. Planning
is important. Since one place to another is quite far so you need to plan where
you will stay. We stayed in 3 different places for the whole 5 days. To save money,
we decided to sleep in a tent for 2 nights and god knows how cold it was. But it
was still bearable. Camping in Iceland? No problem!
 |
| Gullfoss waterfall |
3. The
weather in Reykjavik is not cold, I even had an ice cream. But when you go out of
the city, it is REALLY cold, even in summer! A thick coat is not enough, so make sure wear
layers of clothes and if possible wear a waterproof jacket since you will visit
to few waterfall area.
 |
| Plane wreck site |
4. Traveling
in summer is better since the daylight is longer, thus it allows you to travel
to a lot of places in one day. While traveling in winter is great cause you
will get the best scenery ever, but it depends on you, for me traveling during winter
can be bothersome since the road will be icy and slippery also the night is
longer than the day thus you can only visit few places in a day.
5. Lastly,
here’s a few places you must visit while you’re in Iceland: Jokulsarlon (the iceberg), Black Sand Beach, Plane Wreck, Diamond Beach, Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon, Gluggafoss waterfall, Skogafoss waterfall, Gullfoss waterfall (this is WAJIB PERGI). These are just my favourite places, there's more places to visit especially the ones in northern part.
 |
| Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon |
 |
| Skogafoss Waterfall |
 |
| Black Sand Beach, Vik |
Comments
Post a Comment
Drop me some "Beautifully Written words!